Stoneham Mountain Resort
Stoneham Mountain Resort is a ski resort, located north of Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, in the municipality of Stoneham-et-Tewkesbury. The mountain has a peak elevation of 632 metres (2,073 feet) above sea level and a vertical drop of 420 metres (1,380 feet). There are 32 trails covering 132 hectares (330 acres) on four mountains. Sixteen trails covering a network of 74 hectares (180 acres) are available for night skiing, consisting in the largest network of night skiing in Canada. The resort is owned by Resorts of the Canadian Rockies. Notable events Since 2007, Stoneham has been the host of the Snowboard FIS World Cup Finals, held yearly in March. In January 2013, Stoneham will host the FIS snowboard world championships. It is the most important snowboard competition after the winter olympic games. In 1993 the mountain hosted a slalom event of the alpine skiing World Cup, won by one of the best ever, Alberto Tomba of Italy. Stoneham-et-Tewkesbury is a united township municipality in the Canadian province of Quebec, located in the regional county municipality of La Jacques-Cartier north of Quebec City. Its main attraction is the Stoneham Mountain Resort. The large territory of the municipality is only developed and inhabited in the south, where the population centres of Saint-Adolphe, Stoneham, and Tewkesbury are located. Large portions of the north are included in the Jacques-Cartier National Park and the Laurentides Wildlife Reserve. The terrain is hilly, part of the Laurentian Mountains, and crossed by the Jacques-Cartier, upper Sainte-Anne, and Hurons Rivers. Some of the more notable lakes are Beaumont, Saint-Vincent, and Saint-Guillaume. In 1792, Philip Toosey was granted
ome 70 acres (280,000 m2) of land that formed the beginning of the village that he named Stoneham after the namesake village in Suffolk, England, where he came from. That same year, the toponyms of the geographic townships of Stoneham and Tewkesbury appeared. Tewkesbury may be attributed to Kenelm Chandler who was born in Tewkesbury, England, arrived in 1764 and was granted 9713 hectares of land in Stoneham in 1800. The first influx of Irish, English, and Scottish settlers came in 1815. By 1831, its population had passed 175. In 1845, the Stoneham Municipality was formed and abolished in 1847. In 1850, the Parish of Saint-Edmond-de-Stoneham was formed, named after Edmund Rich of Canterbury (1170-1240). The Stoneham Post Office opened in 1854. A year later on July 1, the United Township Municipality of Stoneham-et-Tewkesbury was established, populated by about 25 families. In 1871, its population had grown to 640 (360 in Stoneham township and 280 in Tewkesbury township). In 1880, the Tewkesbury Post Office opened (and closed in 1963). The completion of the railroad, owned by the St. Charles and Huron River Railway Company, between Stoneham-et-Tewkesbury and Loretteville in 1912 led to intensive logging in the area. Timber was floated down the Hurons River to Stoneham from where it was brought by rail to Quebec City. The railway was also used to transport cargo and wood pulp of the Brown Corporation and the Donnacona Paper Company. By 1920, the place had become an important commercial center of northern Quebec. In 1973, the neighbouring municipality of Saint-Adolphe was annexed into Stoneham-et-Tewkesbury, making it one of the largest municipalities in Quebec at that time.
More information about Fernie Alpine Chalet: